About us video

Video transcript

Sometimes you may feel dissatisfied with the way a situation has been handled. That’s why we’re here.

We’re the office of the National Health Practitioner Ombudsman & Privacy Commissioner, or the NHPOPC. If you’re unhappy with the administrative processes of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency or a National Board, you can contact us.

But first let us tell you a bit about our office and exactly what we do.

We provide an independent complaint handling service to health practitioners and the public. We can help you with complaints about the administrative actions of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency and the 15 National Boards.

We also work closely with those bodies to identify where they can improve their services.

Our service is free and anyone can make a complaint.

But what sort of things do people complain about?

Well, members of the public generally make complaints about the way a notification they made about a health practitioner has been handled.

Health practitioners usually lodge complaints about registration problems or the way a notification about them has been handled.

Here’s how it works.

We receive a complaint from you, either by phone, mail or email.

From here, we’ll carefully assess whether it’s a matter we can investigate and we’ll let you know.

You might be wondering what an investigation does and what sort of outcomes it can achieve.

The first thing we do is ask for the appropriate documents and look at these closely.

An investigation determines whether the administrative actions complained about were lawful and reasonable, and also whether the correct process has been followed.

We act impartially and investigate complaints thoroughly and fairly, making decisions based on facts and evidence.

At the end of an investigation, a few things can happen. We may determine the actions were reasonable and take no further action. We may suggest that processes and policies be reviewed or changed. We can also recommend that a decision be reconsidered.

These processes can take time, but always remember, we’re here to help.

For more information or to make a complaint, visit our website nhpopc.gov.au