Make a complaint

Our jurisdiction

We may be able to assist you if you’re unhappy with the administrative actions of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) or a National Board, including:

  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practice Board of Australia
  • Chinese Medicine Board of Australia
  • Chiropractic Board of Australia
  • Dental Board of Australia
  • Medical Board of Australia
  • Medical Radiation Practice Board of Australia
  • Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
  • Occupational Therapy Board of Australia
  • Optometry Board of Australia
  • Osteopathy Board of Australia
  • Paramedicine Board of Australia
  • Pharmacy Board of Australia
  • Physiotherapy Board of Australia
  • Podiatry Board of Australia
  • Psychology Board of Australia.

Our service is free and anyone can make a complaint.

An administrative action is any action taken by AHPRA and the National Boards when carrying out their duties and functions or exercising powers or discretion.

Members of the public generally complain about the way a notification they have made about a health practitioner has been handled.

Health practitioners usually lodge complaints about registration problems or the way a notification made about them has been handled.

We can also assist with complaints about breaches of privacy and the handling of freedom of information requests by AHPRA.

Before you make a complaint

If you are from New South Wales or Queensland, please note that the NHPOPC does not have jurisdiction to deal with the administrative processes of the Health Care Complaints Commissioner and the Health Professionals Council Authority in New South Wales, or the Office of the Health Ombudsman in Queensland. You may wish to contact the New South Wales Ombudsman or the Queensland Ombudsman to discuss your concerns about these organisations.

If you have not yet discussed your concerns with AHPRA, please make a formal complaint to AHPRA and allow a reasonable time for a response. For more information about making a formal complaint, please contact AHPRA on 1300 419 495 or via its website at This provides AHPRA with an opportunity to efficiently and effectively resolve your concerns before we become involved. We are also happy to assist with transferring your complaint to AHPRA in circumstances where this has not yet occurred. If you do not receive a response from AHPRA or if you are dissatisfied with the response, you may then complain to the NHPOPC.

It is also important that you know that we do not:

  • offer legal advice
  • act as an advocate for you, or for AHPRA and the National Boards
  • have the power to force AHPRA or the National Boards to change a decision they have made
  • have the power to order that compensation be paid to you (except if the complaint is about an interference with privacy, in which case a declaration may be made that you are entitled to compensation for any loss or damage suffered).


How to make a complaint

We receive complaints by mail, email or telephone. We recommend that you complete our complaint form so that we have sufficient information to assess your complaint:

Mailing address:

National Health Practitioner Ombudsman and Privacy Commissioner

GPO Box 2630, Melbourne, Victoria, 3001

Email address:

Telephone enquiries:

1300 795 265

Office hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday, Australian Eastern Standard Time; a voicemail service is available outside these hours or if we are unavailable to accept your call.

If you require assistance to make a complaint:

If you are a non-English speaking person, you can use the Translating and Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450.

If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, you can contact us through the National Relay Service:

  • TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 1300 362 072
  • Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 362 072
  • Internet Relay users connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1300 362 072

If you need other support to make a complaint, please let us know and we will do our best to help you.